Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Friday, February 8, 2013

Faithfulness

This year I am following a Bible reading plan developed by Kathy Howard that can be found HERE.  Over the course of 52 weeks, I will be reading through portions of the Bible that cover the foundational doctrines (beliefs) of the Christian faith.  The plan is constructed this way:
  • First Quarter – “Theology,” the study of God and His character
  • Second Quarter – The nature of the Bible, mankind, & Christ
  • Third Quarter – “Soteriology,” the study of salvation
  • Fourth Quarter – The Holy Spirit, the Church, and the End times
Ms Howard lists several other Bible reading plans other than this one, but I've chosen to go with this one for 2013.  If you aren't presently following a Bible reading plan, I encourage you to take a peak at the plans she offers and chose one.  I know it is already halfway through February, but chose one...TODAY.  Jump in and don't worry about being behind.

This morning's passage had me reading about God as Healer and Faithful.  Faithfulness seems to be a "lost art" in today's culture.  We are so busy with so many things.  Our priorities can easily get misplaced.  Commitment is thrown to the wind if something "better" comes along.  We can be rather "wishy-washy" at times.  We want everything to be easy and if it isn't...well...we move on to something that requires less time, less effort; something that doesn't require much out of us.

I'm so very grateful that God isn't that way.  Genesis 18:1-15 and 21:1-7 reminds us of God's faithfulness through the story of Abraham and Sarah.  If you've been around church for any amount of time, I bet you know this story.  In short, you have a couple, well beyond child-bearing years, a promise of a baby and they laugh.  Well...Sarah laughs.  And then the Lord asks Abraham a question in Genesis 18:14a:
"Is anything too hard for the Lord?"
The Lord then promises Abraham that He will return in a year and that Sarah will indeed have a son.

Flash forward to Genesis chapter 21:1-7:
"The LORD kept His word and did for Sarah exactly what He had promised. She became pregnant, and she gave birth to a son for Abraham in his old age.  This happened at just the time God had said it would."
Today's reading also took me to Psalm 30.  Here is some of what I read:
"Sing to the LORD, all you godly ones!  Praise His holy name.  For His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime!  Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning...Hear me, LORD, and have mercy on me.  Help me, O LORD.  You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing.  You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy, that I might sing praises to You and not be silent.  O LORD my God, I will give You thanks forever!"
I'm not sure if any of this makes any sense or speaks to anyone but me today, but I beg of you this:  DO NOT MISTAKE GOD'S SILENCE IN A MATTER FOR HIS UNFAITHFULNESS TO YOU!  HE IS FAITHFUL!

While you are waiting, know that you can believe God to be Who He says He is and that He will do what He has promised to do.  Seek His face through His word and know Him.  He keeps His word and at just the right time my friend...at just the right time!



Blessings,
Jennifer

0 comments: