Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

When The Handwriting On The Wall Is In Brown Crayon

Even though I have three kids, ages 13, 5 and 2, it still amazes me how quickly I have forgotten with the younger two about all the "stages" they go through in the growing up process.  You would think that by now nothing would phase me and I would be able to handle all the things that come with these "stages" with the grace of a seasoned mother! 

I don't always do so well.

Like in the present stage JennaBeth (age 2) finds herself.  She has officially entered the "screaming" stage.  She's not always screaming because she is upset about something.  Sometimes she is screaming out of sheer delight over something, but it is always that high-pitched, squeal that just cuts right through you.  Some days it is just about more than this ole' mama can take!

Or like the stage Bentley (age5) finds himself.  He has become the "talker" in the family.  He talks when he's playing (very sweet to listen to), he talks when he's eating (not so cute to watch!), he talks when he goes to the bathroom, and he talks when he's playing with his friends, and he's asking a million questions a day!  Sometimes, sadly as I even type the words, I just want him to be quiet.

Cecily (age 13), well I guess if you have teenagers in your home, I don't even have to describe the stage she is in - the moodiness  (loving you one day and thinking you are the devil the next).  Cecily is a good girl and we don't have really a lot of trouble with her.  She's just in that stage of trying to discover who she is and what her place in the world is.  I'm not always patient with that process taking place for her.  Some days I'm thinking, "Would you get it together already!"

Thankfully there are older mothers out there who have traveled these roads ahead of me; ones who can offer wisdom and challenge and encouragement because they have stayed the course through all these different stages with their kids.  And lived to tell about it!

One such mother is Susan Lenzkes, author of an amazing little book titled, When The Handwriting On The Wall Is In Brown Crayon:  Encouraging Devotions For Busy Homemakers.  Katy Pent, publicist with Discovery House Publishers & Music kindly sent me a copy of Ms Lenzkes's book for the purpose of review.

Although this little book is only 109 pages, it really packs a powerful dose of encouragement for those of us still in the phase of asking questions like:  "Who put the fire engine in the toilet?" or "Why did you put the rock in the refrigerator?" or "Who put the toy dish in the oven?"

Each devotion is provided on a two page spread including scripture and one of Ms Lenzkes poems on one page and the devotional thought on the other.  Ms Lenzkes's words are few, but are insightful.  They shine a huge spotlight on your heart and lovingly causes you to examine what is found there.  It also helps that she is just plain funny at times, giving the mom with young ones the humorous relief we need on those hard days!


Consider this example from one of the devotions:
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." (Matthew 5:6)  Then Ms Lenzkes's poem:  "Forgive us, Lord, for snacking at Your feast, nibbling at righteousness, picking at Your promises, and showing up at Your table when we have time.  If we, Your own, are undernourished by choice, how can we expect to feed a lost and hungry world?
Or as I thought reading on this particular day, "How can I feed my family graciously and with love and yes patience?"  My conclusion:  I can't, but He can!  I've just got to draw my strength from Him and not forget what a blessing it is to be Mike's wife, and Cecily, Bentley and JennaBeth's mother!

I highly recommend this book.  It would be an amazing addition to baby shower gifts.  The devotions are short as I've already mentioned, making it an excellent resource for mom's on those days when you can't seem to catch two minutes together at one time!  I'm so thankful for this little book and Ms Lenzke who passionately points us moms to the Greater Parent, Jesus Christ.

You can order When The Handwriting On The Wall Is In Brown Crayon by visiting Discovery House HERE

Or if you are an Amazon.com user, you can order by following the link provided below:














Praying that you will be able to see the handwriting on the wall today, no matter what color it is in,
Jennifer

0 comments: