Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Tuesday, April 9, 2019

The Edge of Mercy

Heidi Chiavaroli is a writer, runner, and grace-clinger who loves exploring places that whisper of historical secrets.  She is an ACFW Carol Award winner and a Christy Award finalist.  Heidi makes her home in Massachusetts with her husband and two sons.

You can connect with her at www.heidichiavaroli.com.


Two women, three hundred years apart, must face the devastation of all they hold dear...

Suspecting her husband is having an affair, Sarah Rodrigues fights to appear unbroken while attempting to salvage her family.  Though distracted by her own troubles, Sarah is summoned to an elderly friend's deathbed for an unusual request...find a long-lost daughter and relay a centuries-old family story.

Determined not to fail her friend, Sarah pieces together the story of her neighbor's ancestor.  Elizabeth Baker, a young colonist forced into an unwanted betrothal but drawn to a man forbidden y society.

While Sarah's family teeters on the edge of collapse, her world is further shaken by the interest of a caring doctor and a terrible accident that threatens a life more precious than her own.

Inspired by the unconditional love she uncovers in Elizabeth's story, Sarah strives to forgive those who've wounded her soul.  But when light shines on the dark secrets of her neighbor's past and the full extent of her husband's sins, will looking to a power greater than herself rekindle lost hope?

My Thoughts:
Chiavaroli is a master at weaving the past and present in her stories.  While her previous books, The Hidden Side and Freedom's Ring, are exceptional, her recent release, The Edge of Mercy, may be her best yet.  
"The young woman smiled and opened the case that housed Elizabeth's journal.  'Hang in there.' She turned to me, 'I think sometimes we might not recongnize hope until we've been in the darkness.'"
Chiavaroli draws you in from the start with well-developed characters and rich dialogue infused with emotion and authenticity.  
"After my fingers turned raw and numb from sewing the shirts, I was given rest and read from the unstained pages of the Bible. I have read them before, but this time I clung to them.  I am drawn to the suffering of Christ. For the first time I feel a kinsip with this God of the weak.  I think of Caleb's sacrifice for me, of his love.  I am filled with shame.  Over and over I read, and yet one verse I have found my heart clings to, 'And He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee; for My power is made perfect through weakness.'  I read this and shed warm tears, for I cannot deny that the words are like sweet balm to my wretched heart. 'Tis nothing but this. 'Tis nothing but His grace and promise and finished work to see me through. 'Tis all I have left to cling to."
The portions of the story told through Elizabeth's journal entries and how they parallel the present day story of Sarah are nothing but pure genius and a writing gift.  Readers will be blessed by Chiavaroli's gift.

*I was given a complimentary early copy of the book.  All opinions stated here are my own.

Happy Reading,
Jennifer
 

0 comments: