Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Friday, December 3, 2010

A Year With God

Thomas Nelson Publishers sent me a copy of R.P. Nettelhorst's devotional book A Year With God:  Daily Readings and Reflections On God's Own Words for the purpose of review.  I've had it for a few weeks and have occasionally used portions during my quiet times.

In this devotional book, the reader gets 365 devotionals each with scripture taken from the Old Testament along with Nettelhorst's brief comments relating to the text given.

There were some things I liked about this devotional resource.  The book is organized beautifully into topical sections covering hope and fear, love and hate, perseverance and quitting, faith and doubt, loyalty and betrayal, companionship and isolation, mercy and judgment, forgiveness and anger, joy and sadness, and peace and conflict.  This makes it easy for the reader to search for scripture/devotional thoughts by topic according to what may presently be the need in their life on any given day.

The Scriptures used are taken from many different versions of the Bible giving the reader an opportunity to compare the devotional scripture given with the version they typically use.

The problem comes in the comments by Nettelhorst.  They were all over the place.  I couldn't really figure out exactly what this man believed!  On some days when I read, I was "amening" in my heart and on other days I was asking myself "What in the world did he just say?"

So rather than a strong recommendation, I really would have to give a warning.  I would not recommend giving this to someone who is new in their walk with God.  Discernment and some knowledge of God's word is needed to sift through much of what Mr. Nettelhorst has to share.  There's more bad here than good.  

A Year With God can be purchased at Amazon.














Making room for Him,
Jennifer

0 comments: