Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Our Trip Home for the Holidays: Part Two

Yesterday I posted a little about our family's trip home to AL and MS to visit family.  I'm finishing that post today mostly in pictures. 
After visiting with my dad and step-mom at my brother's house, we went over to my grandmother's house to visit with my mom's side of the family.  This was the first time in quite a while that I got to see many of my cousins and their families and my aunts and uncles.  It was a big crowd of folks in a very tiny house, but we had a really good time.  It brought back memories of when I was a little girl and we would spend Christmas Eve over at Mamaw's house.
While we were all there, my grandmother got a very special phone call from my cousin John Skinner who is serving in Afghanistan right now.  He was able to get access to a sat-phone and call her and his mother, my aunt Gatha.
That was a really special treat for them, plus we got to all tell him Merry Christmas!
My grandfather passed away some years ago from cancer, so it's been my grandmother by herself.  I was so thankful for our time with her that evening.  She looked the best I've seen her look in a long time.  I was anxious to get the picture above with her and my three kiddos to mark the occasion.

We spent the next couple of days in Meridian at my mom and step-dad's home.  My nephew Ryan is living with them now and Bentley loved spending time with him.  Although, I think JennaBeth gave him a run for his money.  Ryan was really sweet with her.  One evening my brother and his family came over and Jason fried some fish.  It was good to get that time with him.  We haven't been able to do that in the past.
The Girls:  JennaBeth, Cecily, Jordan (Jason's little girl)
Ryan, Granny, Cecily, JennaBeth, Jordan, Bentley
Ryan and Cecily (They were born two days apart in December 1997)
Bentley teaching Jordan the mechanics of Wii bowling.
JennaBeth doesn't miss out on anything!
Silly girls trying to eat their apples with a spoon!
A pooped out Granny and little girl!

I think Ryan was probably a little tired after we left!  My two little ones gave him a run for his money and they had a good time doing it:



JennaBeth loves her "Ry-ann"

On Friday afternoon, we went on to Alabama to spend the weekend and NewYear's with Mike's folks in Silas, AL.  Friday evening we got to spend just a couple of hours with his brother Bill and his family.
That's Mike's brother Bill (we'll excuse the Alabama shirt!), Mike's dad and Mike.  We didn't get to see Mike's younger brother Kenny this year due to his work schedule.  Later that evening, the kids enjoyed opening up their gifts from Mamaw Judy and Papaw Sonny:


JennaBeth even had fun picking up her wrapping paper:
Mike's parent's place is in the country...I mean the no cell phone signal kind of country!  It did not bother me one bit.  It is nice every once in a while to be away from all the hustle and bustle of things and just enjoy the people around you.  I've always enjoyed visiting them and enjoying the quiet and beauty of God's creation.  The kids really have fun with lots of countryside to explore and run around in:
On New Year's Eve every year, Mike's parents' church have a singing to "sing out the old and sing in the new".  We went and enjoyed being around some of the people who encouraged Mike in his developing singing abilities and his call to the ministry.  He sang with an older couple who had a part in encouraging his calling:
(Mike with Claude and Glinny Wimberley)
JennaBeth singing along with Daddy.

The next day Mike had the opportunity to sing at a church in Gilbertown, AL where one of his ministry/singing mentors is Minister of Music.  On the following Monday, we were able to visit a little while with Mike's sister Abby and two of her children, Morgan and Adam.  Now, Adam is a very tall boy.  When they came into the house JennaBeth was terrified of Adam.  She wouldn't have anything to do with him at first.  When Adam knelt down to try and talk to her, something clicked and he was her best friend for the rest of the time they were there!
 Adam and JennaBeth on their walk.
Abby and Mike

The drive back home to Florida on Tuesday was pretty uneventful until the last 300 miles.  By that time JennaBeth had had enough of the car seat and not being able to move around!  An offer of pizza for supper was the only thing that calmed her down long enough for us to get the rest of the way home!  Thank you Lord for pizza!!!!
Last Thursday morning, when it was time for big brother to go back to school, little sister did not want him to go!  Don't you love those little pink slippers?

Blessings,
Jennifer










0 comments: