Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Playing With A Recipe

I haven't posted a recipe in a long time around here, but I tried something today that was kind of fun and really easy to put together.  The original recipe was found on Pillsbury.com and is called Grands! Easy Taco Melts.  I took the general idea and put my own changes to it.  The fun thing about this recipe is the versatility of it.  Here's what I did.

Ingredients:
  • 1lb. ground chuck
  • 3 small links of Chorizo sausage
  • 1 envelope of taco seasoning
  • Mexican blend cheese grated
  • salsa
  • 8 ct. package of Pillsbury Grands Biscuits (I used the Butter Tastin' variety)
Directions:
Brown the ground chuck and chorizo together.  Chorizo sausage is really greasy; so, after browning the meat, I used a strainer to get rid of all the grease.  Mix taco seasoning envelope with 3/4 cup of water and add to the meat.  Cook long enough for meat mixture to thicken up a bit.
Then take each biscuit and spread into about a 6 inch round.  Put a couple of spoon fulls of the meat mixture down in the middle of the biscuit round.  Spread a teaspoon of salsa on top of the meat and add as much cheese as you like.
Fold the biscuit over the meat mixture in a half moon shape.  Be sure and pinch the edges together with a fork to lock in all that yummy filling!
Line your cookie sheet with foil and spray with a non-stick cooking spray.  Place each taco melt on the lined cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes.
My family really liked these little treats for lunch today.  I served them with salad, but I imagine they would be great pared with Spanish rice or chips and salsa or guacamole dip!  Like I said before, you can do so much with this general idea.  I'm thinking broccoli and cheese ones would be good with some grilled chicken or you could do ham and cheese ones for a twist to the cold ham and cheese sandwich.  I'm thinking I may take some sandwich pepperoni and make my own Pizza Pockets as well!

*As you can tell, I had a lot of the meat mixture left over since I only made eight melts.  I used the extra in a dip I sent to supper clubs at church with Mike and Cecily.  (I'm at home with a sick little boy running fever!)  So, if you make only eight melts, be prepared to have an idea for the extra meat!

What do you think you would do with this recipe idea?

Blessings,
Jennifer



2 comments:

Angeleyes said...

Oh this sounds good I'm going to have to try this when John comes home he would love it, Of course he does love anything with the word sausage in it.

Angeleyes said...

Oh this sounds good I'm going to have to try this when John comes home he would love it, Of course he does love anything with the word sausage in it.