Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

BUT GOD...

I believe those two words (title of this post) are the most powerful words in all of scripture! In his effort to preach through the book of Ephesians, our pastor arrived at Eph. 2:4-7 this past Sunday morning. Soak in this passage beginning with verse 1:
"As for you, you were dead in your transgressions
and sins, in which you used to live
when you followed the ways of this world
and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air,
the spirit who is now at work in those who are
disobedient.
All of us also lived among them at one time,
gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature
and following its desires and thoughts.
Like the rest, we were by nature
objects of wrath.
BUT GOD
because of His great love
for us, God, who is rich in mercy,
made us alive with Christ even when we
were dead in transgressions - it is by grace
you have been saved. And God raised us up
with Christ and seated us with Him in the
heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that
in the coming ages He might show the incomparable
riches of His grace, expressed in His kindness to us
in Christ Jesus."

We were DEAD, objects of WRATH, unable to be obedient, But God!!

Hal posed the question, "What motivated God to save us?" It was certainly nothing in us! It was all of His grace poured out on us. "While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8)

Why?
  • The richness of God's mercy. The word in the original language here is "hesed". It has an abounding quality to it. Psalm 103:8 "The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love." "Hesed" also carries an idea of unexpected love.
  • The greatness of His love.
  • The immeasurable riches of His grace.
  • The kindness of God in Christ.
I was lost, without a saving knowledge of God, without the ability to believe or have faith in God, BUT GOD... "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God" (Eph. 2:8) Even my faith is a grace gift from God!

Hal also shared this quote from F.F. Bruce:
"Throughout time and in eternity the church, this society of pardoned rebels, is designed by God to be the masterpiece of His goodness. When He brings into being the reconciled universe of the future, the church will provide the pattern after which it will be modeled."

Is my life, is your life a pattern after which others can find a model of the grace of God?
How well am I, are you displaying God's grace before our children, our husbands, at work, at school, at the ball game, at church?


Grace Unmeasured

Verse 1
Grace unmeasured, vast and free
That knew me from eternity
That called me out before my birth
To bring You glory on this earth
Grace amazing, pure and deep
That saw me in my misery
That took my curse and owned my blame
So I could bear Your righteous name

Chorus
Grace paid for my sins
And brought me to life
Grace clothes me with power
To do what is right
Grace will lead me to heaven
Where I’ll see Your face
And never cease
To thank You for Your grace

Verse 2
Grace abounding, strong and true
That makes me long to be like You
That turns me from my selfish pride
To love the cross on which You died
Grace unending all my days
You’ll give me strength to run this race
And when my years on earth are through
The praise will all belong to You

Chorus
Grace paid for my sins
And brought me to life
Grace clothes me with power
To do what is right
Grace will lead me to heaven
Where I’ll see Your face
And never cease
To thank You for Your grace


“Grace Unmeasured” by Bob Kauflin
© 2005 Sovereign Grace Praise (BMI). Sovereign Grace Music, a division of Sovereign Grace Ministries.

Father, help us to be good and excellent displays, models of your grace. When others look at us may they not say, "Wow, what a good person, what a nice person, what an awesome Christian, but may they say, "Who is her God? I want to know Him!"

Blessings,
Jennifer

0 comments: