Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Psalm 23

A few years ago, I came across Sylvia Gunter's ministry.  She even sent me some of the ministry's material at no cost, which I thought was very generous.  Below you will find a guide to praying through Psalm 23 with added scriptures to consider.  I put this together for my ladies Sunday School class for this Sunday and thought I would share it here on the blog for you.  This is a compilation of some things from Ms Gunter's material.  Hope you are blessed by it as I was.
 


Psalm 23

(KJV)

1The LORD is my shepherd
Jehovah-Rohi:  God my Shepherd
John 10:11
The Lord of the universe knows you personally!  Thank your Shepherd that He knows you by name and wants to communicate with you.
Pray for someone who is discouraged and thinks God has forgotten them.
I shall not want.
Jehovah-Jireh:  The Lord my Provider
Matt. 6:11
Name specific needs for which you are trusting Him.  Thank Him for providing ALL your needs beginning with redemption.  Ask Him to carry all your worries, burdens, and cares.
Pray for those you know with financial needs and for those who are discontent with what they have.
2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth   me beside the still waters.
Jehovah-Shalom:  God my Peace
Isaiah 9:6 and Isaiah 26:3
Thank Jesus your Peace for His attention to the details of your life.  Tell Him you want to see Him more clearly in your “dailies”.
Ask God how to pray for someone you know who is in a “hard” place.  Pray for Him to calm all fear, doubt, worry, inadequacy, and anxiety with the Prince of Peace in their heart.
3He restoreth my soul
Jehovah-Rapha:  The Lord my Healer
Psalm 103:2-5 and Heb. 4:15
Think about where you need the healing and restoration of Jesus the Healer.  Because Jesus your Healer was fully God and fully man, He understands everything you have experienced.
Pray for someone you know who needs to be healed physically, mentally, emotionally or otherwise.
he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness
Jehovah-Tsidkenu:  The Lord my Righteousness
Jeremiah 23:6 and 1 Cor.1:30
Pray for God’s guidance as you follow Him as Lord.  Thank Him that you are accepted in Christ Jesus and completely forgiven.
Jesus declares us to be righteous, not for what we have done, but because of His perfect righteousness.  Pray for salvation for somebody who has not received Jesus as God’s perfect sacrifice for their sin.
for his name's sake.
Jehovah-M’Kaddesh
Prov. 18:10 and Isaiah 26:8
God’s name is Holy.  Pray that you will not dishonor His name. 
Pray that someone away from God will desire to bring glory and honor to His name.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me
Jehovah-Shammah:  God who is there.
Matt. 28:19-20 and Heb.13:5-6
Thank God for His presence that is always with us and dispels fears and unbelief.
Ask God to reveal Himself to your family and friends in powerful and new ways.
thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Heb. 12:5-7
Thank God for His loving authority in your life to discipline, correct and give you the security of loving limits.  You can depend on the rod of His protection and the staff of His correction and rescue.
Isaiah 49:13 and Isaiah 52:9
The Lord’s comfort is as warm and tender as that of a mother for her child.  Who do you know who needs you to pray God’s comfort for them?
5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies
Jehovah-Nissi:  The Lord my Banner of Victory
Isaiah 11:10
Praise God that He gives victory over your enemies and sins, as you depend on the authority of your crucified, resurrected, victorious Redeemer.
Pray that He will be the same Banner for your friends and family.
thou anointest my head with oil
Oil was used for medicine, sanctification, appointment to office, and as a sign of fellowship.  Oil symbolizes the Holy Spirit, who is all these things.  Thank God for the power of the Holy Spirit to heal, restore, soothe, cleanse, appoint to His work, and give a sign of your fellowship with the Father and His Son.  Thank your Shepherd for His grace and favor that He gives you so generously.
Pray your family and friends will walk in the Spirit.
my cup runneth over.
Eph. 3:20-21
Exercise your attitude of gratitude.
Pray that your family and friends will praise God continually as their Source.
6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life
Thank God for a specific evidence of His goodness and love He has shown you today.  Thank God for people who have shown His goodness and love to you.  Tell them so at your first opportunity.  Pray that they will see God’s goodness to them.
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
Ask God to show you how to practice His presence with you continually.  Ask God for the body of Christ to worship Him with their whole heart and be committed to living in His presence daily.

Blessings,
Jennifer


2 comments:

mariel said...

I love that psalm...the Lord gave me much refreshment through it last spring when we lost my MIL. Thank you for sharing this...I love the way she has broken it down.

ocean mommy said...

This post is so rich! LOVE it and will be coming back to it often!

Hugs and love!
steph.