Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Game Night with the Girls

I love getting together with a group of ladies and just hanging out. Outside of spending relaxing and fun time with my husband and three kiddos, this is the best thing!!

I got to do that last night. Our ladies' ministry team scheduled a "game night" for our monthly fellowship time. It was so much fun! Okay, I'm having a flashback...Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" just buzzed through my head!

Anyway, some of the ladies from our church met at one of our elder's homes to eat some yummy snack food and play some games.

Everyone brought a snack food or dessert to share and they were all soooo good!

We met at the Moodys' home. That's Dawn Moody with the short black hair and white top standing behind the bar. Dawn has a beautiful home and is always so gracious to offer it for many of our church meetings and various functions. One of her many gifts is hospitality.

Here is a group of ladies at the "scrabble table". We had several different game tables set up with various types of games. The ladies got to pick what game they wanted to play and various groups formed around the tables. After a while, a bell was rung and you left your game just like it was and moved to a different game and picked up where that group left off. It was really a lot of fun.

Uno was another game we offered. I mean what is a better time than sitting around chatting with some girlfriends, snacking and playing some fun games without the hubbies and kids. Now don't get me wrong, we all love our husbands and kids. I don't mean any disrespect, but I'm just sayin....

There was also a Mexican Train Dominoe table set up. These ladies were just getting started.

This is my blog and I can brag if I want to, but I think we have some of the sweetest ladies at our church. I enjoy spending time with them. It is refreshing and encouraging for me to do this.

One of the purposes for the meeting last night was to introduce a new Bible study opportunity for the ladies at our church. We will be dividing into small groups of about 6 to 8 ladies each and going through Ligon Duncan's "Does Grace Grow Best In Winter?". This is what C.J. Mahaney says about this book from the back cover:
"If you are presently suffering, this book is for you. And if you are not, this book is still for you - in preparation for the trials that will undoubtedly come. Regardless of your current circumstances, Does Grace Grow Best in Winter? will help you perceive God's purpose in suffering, receive God's grace in trials, and draw near to our great High Priest, who suffered the unimaginable horrors of the cross for us."

Our pastor preached on this very subject over a couple of Sunday nights recently. His sermon title was "Responding to Suffering and Evil" and was taken from the book of Job. He said something that I wrote in my Bible. He stated that in the story of Job you find a contest for the glory of God.

That just resonated in my heart. As I look at my own life, past and present, and as I look at so many believers I know who are undergoing the trials of life, I wonder, all this is a contest for the glory of God! And I ask myself, how can I glorify God in this?

Are you in the midst of a "this"? Take heart! God is perfecting you and wants to prove you faithful!

Our small groups will begin meeting in a couple of weeks. The book is short, only 86 pages and four chapters, but from what some of the ladies who have already begun the book say, it is packed with power! We will meet every other week for four meetings. Each of those weeks, I will be doing a recap of the chapter with some of my impressions from my own personal study. So, visit back often and together we can learn how grace grows best in the "winter" times of our lives.

Blessings,
Jennifer



0 comments: